Sunday 9 August 2015

I hear the 'Pocket Jew' is all the rage


I would like to give a shout out to M and my P in T Amy – this one’s for you. Literally.

One of the first things I did when I began this journey was go to the library. There, I went to the religion section and took out a small stack of books to get me started. You may not be surprised as to how many books there are about Judaism, Jewish lifestyle, cooking, etc. In the back of the first book was a listing of websites of various Jewish organizations to further one’s questions and curiosities, one of which was an organization that pairs people with Torah partners. They match you with someone of a similar age and sex in your city to either meet in person or talk on the phone to discuss whatever you want to talk about in relation to Judaism (of course). After a telephone interview to find out what I would like to discuss, I am asked what is it that I am interested in learning? EVERYTHING! Is that too much? I hope you have someone to help me with this.  After a month of impatiently waiting (and a follow up phone call) they found me a tutor. Enter Amy *taaa daaa*.
My P in T (partner in Torah) Amy is a petite, frummy mummy with a smile that's infectious and a laugh to adore. A Sephardic woman (shtetl and all) who has agreed to take on the challenge of intentionally putting up with me and my inquisitive mind, poor thing. She insists that she isn't a teacher and not sure if she could give me Hebrew lessons. I beg to differ. First of all, she used to teach English; second, I say that if you know something that I do not and you are willing to help me learn about it, than THAT makes you a teacher. To further drive my point home, Merriam Webster defines teacher as 'a person who passes along information or skill'. Can't argue with that, so on with the show.

We are starting off semi-slowly teaching me to read and write Hebrew, although she insists I put off the writing for now. She constantly reminds me of what a mitzvah it is to learn Hebrew and study Torah, and I constantly remind her how I’m filling my time doing something I enjoy and want to do for myself. Potato, potahto, I suppose. The greatest surprise of all is that we are BOTH learning as we go. If there is a question that she does not know the answer to, she jots it down and gets back to me with the answer, providing her rabbi actually gives her one. I think the master is becoming the student, grasshopper. Now go paint the fence!

So when I went to Shul this past Saturday night, imagine my excitement when I was able to muddle through a few of the brachahs! Yay me! I got such a thrill that the ants in my pants were doing the Macarena. I kept asking M questions about words and pronunciations and I didn’t want to put down my siddur. Unfortunately when it was time for Kiddush, M and Revi G rather I sat in the dining room with everyone else opposed to sitting by myself and reading. Party poopers. For the first time since I have started to go to Shul, I really enjoyed it. More like I enjoyed following the text, but you get the picture. The funny thing is that as I'm reading, I have even more questions about texts, transliterations and pronunciations. Poor Amy. Now there's even more questions to not get answered adequately. So with borrowed siddur in hand (thank you RD) I trudge on..

With the reading well under way, we are going full-steam ahead! Next week I am learning to make a large batch of challah and perhaps finish the alphabet. With the high holy days around the corner, I would like to be able to follow along in the siddur better, providing that the Rabbi isn't speed reading. There is a ton for me to learn and do, and we're just getting started. I am very lucky to have a few people to help me out along the way. I'm grateful to have my friend M help me at Shul and set me straight, and my P in T for helping me to read and fulfill yet another goal. It's great to have someone to turn to for help when you need it; it's one thing to open a book or peruse a website, but there is something more reassuring and definite in speaking to someone face-to-face. Especially when they actually want to help you.

I want the world (or at least the 6 people reading this) to know that I think that M and Amy are the cat's arse and the bee's knees! And as they read this (that's 2 of the 6 already) I can hear them smile and feel them blush. So in case I haven't said it to their faces already, thank you!  8)

I will conclude this week's rant with a riddle; how do you get a straight answer from a Rabbi?
You don’t.


baby steps..

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment